The flu and work really got me this week but I am determined to share the visit I had last Thursday to the Skirball Cultural Center.
The Skirball's focus is Jewish Culture. So the main theme of the "Light and Noir" exhibit I went to was an homage to the actors, directors, writers, and composers who fled Nazi persecution in Europe from 1933-1950.
For instance movies like "who framed roger rabbit" is deeply influenced by classic Noir.
There were plenty of movie posters but I had great fun looking at the props they had displayed.
I even became apart of the scene for a second.
The props and costumes shown below are from Casablanca.
There was even theater seats set up with a movie screen showing clips of Casablanca.
This whole room was just a beautiful exhibit of props and costume, with clip screenings of various movies.
(It says no photos but shhh don't tell)
Then I found this displayed and it looks like an antique parchment of declaration but its Max Factor's Scroll of fame. Upon opening, 900 guests signed this sheet, and everyone received an engraved compact. The idea of Giveaways have been around a long time.
As things got tough politically for Hollywood, and people started to get questioned about their party status, it was nice to find a relaxed social setting without the worry of angering the wrong person. So the Skirball set up a nice vintage living room at the end of the exhibit to relax in.
It was a great exhibit and one that if in the area no one should miss. It's going on till March 1st and its free on Thursdays, so no excuses.
Although if you thought that, that was all there was, you were mistaken. After this great display there was a vintage pop up shop.
I didn't have a photographer for this portion but wanted to show you my outfit for the day and the pretty dressing room they made with the vintage furniture. Two birds one snap.
They had lipstick brushes, water activated eyeliner and cream rouge in cute vintage-esque packaging. All in all it was a great visit, I didn't get to buy anything but just getting to see the exhibit and the vintage pop up made me a happy Dolly indeed!
This exhibit is going till March 1st at the Skirball Cultural Center in Los Angeles. The pop up shop by Uniquely Vintage will only be going till December 3rd but On the 7th they will be doing another pop up on the same grounds. There will also be a talk about Fashion during WWII with Gabriela Hernandez and Kimberly Truhler that day. If you want more details go to the Skirball website.




























0 comments:
Post a Comment