.

Blog Archive

Facebook

Tales of Woe

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

I recently burned my throat on a hot a cup of soup. Yes you heard right, burned my throat (silly I know) and everywhere I turned the same thing was mentioned the horribly slow cure to many small ailments...TIME. Though to me this horridly desert dry feeling that is more like I swallowed a hot rock than moist a sore throat,  is annoyingly unbearable. So much so, that time is just not going to cut it.Then I thought of my great grandmother, and her aloe. Without having the plant itself though the ingestable (is that a word?) gel was going to be hard to find.

While going on this search for aloe, I started getting curious about what other cures the women of her generation and before had tried. As always curiosity got the best of me and I found that Morphine Via “Mrs. Winslow’s Soothing Syrup” was administered to as they put it, bawling babies and teething tots in the Victorian Era.

I was surprised. I mean I know they had funny “cures” but morphine for children. Well the list continued from there.

Cocaine drops for pain and coughs, as well as Heroin tablets for asthma. Then of course there was the arsenic and mercury for syphilis. By the 1940’s when penicillin came to the forefront all the of the snake oil cures had pretty much been forgotten and opium, the once cure all, was frowned upon for its intense addictive qualities.

Still some old folk cures get passed down from generation to generation. If they actually work is another question. However my great grandmother’s aloe is a proven cure so I will stick with that, getting a cold through my feet I am not so sure about.

One more proven cure for pain that is free and has no side effects, distraction. I feel better already.

Till next time lovelys!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+ Addthis
 

On the Go!

About Us

Recent News